PORTLAND, USA:As evidence of his superiority, Omar McLeod hit down almost every hurdle, but still clocked a world- leading and national record 7.41 seconds in an easy run as he claimed Jamaica’s lone gold medal in the 60m hurdles on the final day of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Indoor Championships at the Oregon Convention Centre here yesterday.McLeod got a quick start out of the blocks and then eased away from his competition to finish three metres ahead of France’s Pascal Martinot-Lagarde in a season’s best 7.46 second, and Dimitri Bascou in 7.48 seconds.”Never in a million years would I think I’d be world champion at the age of 21, but thanks to God, he made this possible,” an elated McLeod said afterwards.”Coach (Douglas Case) said that if you want to win that race, you’ve got to get out, tunnel vision, and just own the race. I knew that those two French guys would have been there, so I really just wanted to be there with that (in mind). He knew that’s what it would take for me to win that race,” he added.McLeod’s win took the Jamaican medal tally to three, adding to the silver won by Asafa Powell in the men’s 60m on Friday and the bronze won by Elaine Thompson in the women’s 60m on Saturday.Jamaica finished fourth on the medal table, three behind hosts United States with 23 (13 gold, six silver, four bronze); Ethiopia, with five medals (two gold, two silver and one bronze); and France with one gold, one silver and two bronze.McLeod had earlier sprinted away from the field to win semi-final two in a time of 7.52 seconds, equalling the fastest time of the other top-two qualifiers, Martinot-Lagarde of France and Jarrett Eaton of the USA.It was Jamaica’s lone medal on the final day of competition.The women’s 4x400m literally crashed out as Patricia Hall went tumbling to the ground on the second lap of the opening leg of the event. It appeared that Hall’s heel was stepped on by either the athlete from Poland or Nigeria and she stumbled and fell, taking with her any medal hopes the Jamaicans might have had.The remaining members of the quartet, Chrisann Gordon, Stephenie Ann McPherson and Anneisha McLaughlin-Whilby, were forced to watch in disbelief as their last hope dissipated.The United States went on to win the event in a world-leading 3:26.38 seconds, ahead of Poland in a season’s best 3:31.15 and a fast-finishing Romania, also in a season’s best 3:31.51.The men’s 4x400m team of Ricardo Chambers, Dane Hyatt, Demish Gaye, and Fitzroy Dunkley finished fourth in the final event of the evening.Dunkley ran a brave anchor, but could not pull back the fast- flying Americans, who won in a world leading 3:02.45, and the Bahamas with the evergreen Chris Brown on anchor in a national indoor record 3:04.75.
GTT customers now have the additional value of accessing 20 television channels for free via the company’s StreamTV service.StreamTV is a free video product featuring live TV channels including the highest rated primetime content from the US networks as well as live news. The service first became available to GTT customers in December 2017, and has been receiving positive reviews from those who have been streaming.Access is available on devices connected to fixed WIFI available through GTT’s DSL, Silver, Gold and Blaze High Speed Internet. There is currently a special promotional offer which also allows DSL Bronze customers access to the service until the end of February 2018.The service can be activated through a browser by logging in at gttstreamtv.com to register. Smartphones, tablets, PCs, and laptops are some of the common devices used to access the web application.GTT’s StreamTV allows up to two simultaneous streams per StreamTV account and all of the live streams can be recorded for viewing up to 30 days later.The available channels are ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, One America News, Newsmax, AWE, Sankhya, TVG 28, HJTV, HGPTV, TBN, QVC, Three Angels, EWTN, Word and Daystar.
QPR manager Harry Redknapp says the deal to try to sign Ajax striker Kolbeinn Sigthorsson is still ongoing.The 24-year-old’s brother and agent, Andri, claims the two parties have not spoken about a move for over a month.But Redknapp, who still has Loic Remy on the books after the France striker’s move to Liverpool collapsed, says the race to sign the man who scored 10 goals in the Eredivisie last season is not dead and buried.He revealed: “It’s still dragging on a bit that one.“We agreed terms with the club but couldn’t quite agree terms with the player. We’ll have to wait and see with that one.” 1 Kolbeinn Sigthorsson
0Shares0000Dennis Malombe of Supersolico FC (Left) chase for the ball against Ibrahim Abubakar of Isiolo Young Stars during the Safaricom Chapa Dimba season two, Eastern region finals at Kitui Show grounds, Kitui county. Supersolico won the match after a penalty shoot-out when they won 5-4.KITUI, Kenya, March 10 – Supersolico from Mwingi and St Mary’s Ndovea from Makueni are the Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom Eastern region champions.St. Mary’s Ndovea came from a goal down to beat Chuka Starlets two goals to one in a hotly contested finals held under the scotching heat at Kitui Showground. Margaret Mutua scored an equalizer for Ndovea at the 35th minute after Clare Chemutai had put the Starlets ahead in the 2nd minute from the penalty spot. Cecilia Mutungu then scored the winning goal for Ndovea at the 57th minute.“We are delighted that we have the ticket for the national finals. This has been our greatest wish and we have been working hard as a team to achieve it. We have also won some money which is again a great motivation for the team,” said Margaret Mutua, Captain, St Mary’s Ndovea.In the boy’s finals, Supersolico from Mwingi emerged victorious after beating Young Boys from Isiolo four goals to three on penalties after the game ended 1 – 1. James Mutua gave Supersolico the lead in the first half before Ibrahim Abdisalan scored the equalizer in the second half making him the top scorer of the Eastern final.Daisy Chirchir of St. Marys Nduvea (left) runs with the ball past Esther Mumbua of Chuka Starlets (right) during the Safaricom Chapa Dimba season two, Eastern region semi-finals at Kitui Show grounds, Kitui finals at Kitui Show grounds, Kitui county. Chuka Starlets lost the match to St. Marys Nduvea 2-1.St Mary’s Ndovea and Supersolico received a cash reward of KES 200,000 each and will now represent Eastern region in the national finals scheduled for June 2019 at Kinoru Stadium, Meru County.“The game was tough but our team stayed focused. We came into this tournament with only one aim- to win and yes we made it. We are glad because our struggles have borne fruits. We are not stopping at this because our eyes are glued to being national champs,” said Mudachi Bernard–Coach Supersolico.Supersolico and St. Mary’s Ndovea now join Western region’s Bishop Njenga Girls and Lugari Blue Saints as well as Manyatta Boys and Ndhiwa Queens from Nyanza in the quest for national champions’ tittle.At the grand finale, the winning boys’ and girls’ teams will each walk away with KES 1 million shillings in prize money. An All-star team will also be selected from the 8 regional finals to attend a training camp in Spain during which they will play against local youth sides.The competition now moves to Eldoret for the Rift regional finals set for 23rd and 24th of March.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)
Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba 1 Chelsea legend Didier Drogba has completed a move to Major League Soccer by signing for Canadian side Montreal Impact.The 37-year-old Ivory Coast hero was a free agent following the end of his second spell with the Blues, for whom he scored 164 goals across nine seasons at Stamford Bridge.His next destination was a subject of great speculation, with Inter Milan and MLS outfit Chicago Fire reportedly fighting for his signature.But Drogba instead opted for Montreal, who acquired the MLS right to sign the striker.Chicago, who reportedly pursued the forward for months following his Chelsea exit, had initially landed the rights after filing a discovery claim for the player.But the prospect of moving to the French-speaking Montreal was an attractive move for African footballing hero Drogba, so the American outfit traded the rights with their Canadian rivals for an undisclosed fee – around $250,000 according to reports in the States.Montreal president Joey Saputo told impactmontreal.com: “It’s an honour to welcome Didier Drogba to the Impact.“From the first conversation I had with him, I felt that he really wanted to play in Montreal. This is one of the biggest days in club history and his arrival to the club will be beneficial in every aspect.”When asked about losing out on a marquee signing, Chicago Fire boss Frank Yallop added: “I would have loved to have had Drogba, but basically he chose Montreal, so there’s not a lot we can do about it. Montreal is French-speaking and it’s for his family and himself and that’s what he decided he wanted to do.”Drogba, who won four Premier League titles with Chelsea, will link up with former West Ham midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker in Canada.He is also likely to cross paths with former Chelsea team-mate Frank Lampard and Liverpool rival Steven Gerrard when New York City FC and Los Angeles Galaxy face the Impact.
IT’S probably one of the county’s best known beaches, but surfers may be getting more than they bargained for in recent days…thanks to a sewage leak.A pipe at a pumping station at Bundoran beach is broken…and we don’t need to tell you what happened next other than one local wag who has described it as ‘surf and turf’!Town mayor and Sinn Fein councillor Michael McMahon demanded action. And work is now underway. The council says heavy seas caused the system to malfunction but this would be fixed once and for all once upgrading works are completed.A spokesman said: “The design of the proposed new sewerage scheme for Bundoran (included on the Departments Water Services Investment Programme 2010-2012) includes significant improvements to the operation of the main pumping station and storm storage facilities that will address the current occasional operational difficulties.”Councillor Michael McMahon said it was ‘an embarrassment’ to the Town Council that the leak was not fixed until now.ANGER AS BUNDORAN BEACH HIT BY SEWAGE LEAK! was last modified: August 16th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bundoransewage leak
GORTAHORK woman Marie Harte has captured the feelings of so many of you abroad in this poem.And Marie – her friends tells us – knows a good bit about it all.She spent a year in the Bronx, then two years in Australia and is now in London about three years. So here it is:Irish Abroad – by Marie HarteThere’s nowhere on earth us young Irish won’t flyYou’ll find us in Canada, New York, Sydney and even Dubai At the airport you wave goodbye to the crying ‘auld dear’Then you step through the gates and order a beerYou discover the drinks on the plane are free of chargeThis is the life, make mine a largeYou stagger from the plane with big swollen feet Take a step outside and nearly die from the heatFirst thing you do is light up a fagAnd make sure Saint Christopher is still in your bagGaggin now for a proper cup of tae But first you need to find somewhere to stay.In every city, there’s always a placeWhere you’ll find the Irish have made their base.If you arrive at JFK ready for New York,The Bronx is the place to find cash-in-hand workThe craic is mighty in Woodlawn and WoodsideThis is also where the illegal Irish hide.All the good bars are on the two streetsEillen’s Country Kitchen is a grand place to eat.Or maybe you would prefer Dubai to teachTo drink in the Irish Village and tan on the beachRemember the rules and cover your kneesStop eating pork and wear long sleeves.Or why not try Sydney to get the startWhere everyone travels in a shopping cartBondi Junction is the place to beSunday in the bull and Friday in the tea’sChristmas day drinking out in the SunA box of goon later you decide a swim would be funBut don’t worry if you start to drown out at seaBondi rescue will come and you’ll make the TVBut wherever you go some things will never changeAs Irish we will always keep our traitsIn the bar for the All Ireland final no matter the timeThe Irish bar owner ignores the fineAll the county jerseys form an Irish rainbowYour mother still sends over tea bags and TaytoIf only a bottle of Buckfast could go in the postYou hate to admit it but it’s what you miss mostSinging rebel songs with your arms around MickThat fella who always carries the hurling stickAnd no matter how long you’re gone one thing will always remainYou’ll miss your home just the same.MARIE’S POEM CAPTURES THE DONEGAL EMIGRANT ABROAD was last modified: June 22nd, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:MARIE’S POEM CAPTURES THE DONEGAL EMIGRANT ABROAD
Joan Freeman, founder of of suicide and self-harm crisis centre Pieta House, will launch Darkness into Light 2015 with Electric Ireland in The Abbey Hotel, Donegal Town on Monday, March 30th at 8pm.Taking place on Saturday, 9th of May, Darkness Into Light is a unique, early morning fundraising event which begins in darkness at 4.15am as thousands of people walk or run a 5km route while dawn is breaking.This year, Darkness Into Light will take place in 80 locations in Ireland and abroad including in England, Scotland, Canada, the US and Australia. The event will take place this year in 3 venues in Donegal including Donegal Town, Letterkenny and Maghery-Rosses.Registration and route information for Darkness Into Light is available now at dil.pieta.ie and all are welcome to attend the launch in Donegal Town.DONEGAL DARKNESS INTO LIGHT TO BE LAUNCHED NEXT MONDAY was last modified: March 24th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Darkness into LightdonegalSUICIDE
Plans to build a new factory in Co Donegal are in doubt after an objection that employees’ car will damage the local environment and cause pollution.Owner Michael McCloskey.The owner of the cosmetics factory, which is already located in Kilcar, wants to build a purpose-built factory and double its workforce from five to ten.But An Taisce have officially objected to the new facility saying it is against the County Development Plan in that it will bring more traffic into such a rural area.Michael McCloskey, owner of Algaran Teo at Kilcasey in Kilcar, is seeking planning permission to build a seaweed cosmetic factory beside the house where the factory is currently located.There are five employees at present in the factory, which makes cosmetics from seaweed harvested locally.The development would increase the use of cars in the area, where there is very limited public transport, and this would be against the County Development Plan, according to An Taisce.Part of an objection letter from An Taisce to Donegal County Council states “A dependancy on private travel would give rise to an increase in greenhouse gas emission and would be contrary to policies laid out in the Donegal County Development Plan.”But Eunan Mac Cuinneagáin, board member of Údarás na Gaeltachta, told RTE’s Raidio na Gaeltachta, that he had reacted with disbelief at the correspondence from An Taisce.“An Taisce says on its website that it is working on behalf of the community. We all agree that the environment must be protected, but I don’t think this type of thing is helpful. It’s unbelievable.“What are we going to do, close down all Gaeltacht areas because people are using cars? It’s unbelievable…. Maybe this is a decision made by someone in an office in a city somewhere, where there is public transport to get people to work … but that’s not the case in rural areas. When I heard this first, I thought it was a pretence, that someone was joking and that the story wasn’t true, but then I saw the letter myself this morning … It’s very serious.”He said he would be raising the matter at a meeting of Údarás na Gaeltachta, and hoped they could impress upon the County Council and An Taisce the importance of allowing developments like this to go ahead.The Minister for State for the Gaeltacht, Joe McHugh TD, said small rural communities had to be sustained, and that jobs were badly needed in areas such as Kilcar.He said that is was the government’s job to ensure that and that he would be raising the issue with the Department.The letter from An Taisce to Donegal County Council. DONEGAL SEAWEED FACTORY IN DOUBT AFTER CLAIMS THAT WORKERS’ CARS WILL CAUSE POLLUTION was last modified: July 12th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Algaran Teocarsdonegalfactorykilcarobjectionpollutionseaweed