Archbishop John Ribat of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands in Port Moresby today said the organisers had more than enough time to consult the public or raise awareness of the alterations to the anthem.Archbishop Ribat says consultation by the organisers was never a concern during their planning stages and to say that the organisers did not have time was a great mistake.“It was a great mistake and to say that it was not intentional, they could have consulted those in authority during planning stages,” he said.He said the National Identity Act of 1971 was passed to safeguard and promote the identity of the country.Makoda Production managing director Tanya Nugent in a press release on Tuesday (July 14) said “It was not our intention to cause offence, nor was it our intention to breach any laws of our nation and we apologise if we have done so.“The Makoda Productions team is now focusing intently on delivering the closing ceremony this Saturday, when we hope to shine the spotlight on the new friendships formed and the old bonds renewed as we the Pasifika peoples share the spirit of Wan Solwara,” said Nugent.
Police in E Division (Linden-Kwakwani) are on the hunt for two males after they reportedly disposed of an illegal shotgun upon seeing the police along the Unamico Road on Tuesday.The gun that was disposed of by the two menAccording to information received, at approximately 05:15h, ranks attached to the Kwakwani Police Station and Special Branch Unit acting on information received ventured out to the Unamico Road.Upon arrival, they reportedly observed two males walking in the corner of the road with one alleged to have what appeared to be a shotgun in his hand.It was noted that upon observing the police vehicle, the males reportedly ran into some bushes.The ranks reportedly gave chase, however, they were unable to find the men amongst the thick vegetation. The ranks reportedly continued their search through the bushes where they discovered one Savage 12-gauge shotgun.The police said the gun was taken to the Kwakwani Police Station where it was further examined for a serial number but none was found. The gun was reportedly sealed and lodged at the Kwakwani Police Station.
Juventus are looking for a new no.10, talkSPORT has been told amid rumours the club are chasing Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil.Italian football correspondent James Horncastle explained to the Transfer Tavern that the German’s creativity could be exactly what the Champions League finalists are looking for.“Carlos Tevez was the player who wore [the no.10] for them for the last couple of years,” Horncastle said, of the Argentine who left Juve for Boca Juniors.“[Manager] Max Allegri has spoken on the record about wanting someone with that sense of imagination.“He’s talked about the players he wants for that team. He’s talked about Oscar and Isco, but the likelihood of bringing in a player like them or Ozil, really depends on what happens to Pogba and Vidal.“Juventus have been smart – they did this last summer – they basically set a deadline whereby they want any bids for Vidal or Pogba before they go on their pre-season tour.“If they don’t, then they’ll just keep them and move on and maybe look for a no.10 next summer.”
Wolfgang Niersbach: The 65-year-old is banned from all football-related activities 1 Former German Football Association president Wolfgang Niersbach has been handed a one-year ban from all football-related activities by FIFA’s ethics committee.The 65-year-old spent over three years as head of the German FA (DFB) before stepping down after reports surfaced around alleged bribery taking place for the award of the 2006 World Cup to Germany.Proceedings against Niersbach, who is a current FIFA council member, opened earlier this year and he has now been hit with an immediate 12-month suspension from the game after the ethics committee found he has “failed to report findings about possible misconduct concerning the awarding of the 2006 FIFA World Cup” – for which he was vice-president of the local organising committee.The case did not examine whether the FIFA Code of Ethics (FCE) had been breached “in relation to possible acts of bribery and/or corruption” in terms of the 2006 World Cup being awarded to Germany.Its sole purpose was to look at Niersbach’s own awareness of, and failure to report, any such incidents to the Ethics Committee.That means, given he has been deemed to have violated two of two articles of the FCE, he is now hit with a one-year ban and shall pay the costs of the proceedings brought against him.The FIFA statement read: “The adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee chaired by Alan Sullivan has banned Wolfgang Niersbach, former President of the German Football Association (DFB) and Vice-President of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Local Organising Committee (LOC) and current member of the FIFA Council and the UEFA Executive Committee, for 1 year from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The ban comes into force immediately.“The Ethics Committee found that the conduct of Mr Niersbach as former President of the DFB and Vice-President of the 2006 FIFA World Cup LOC and current member of the FIFA Council and the UEFA Executive Committee constituted a violation of article 18 (Duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting) and article 19 (Conflicts of interest) of the FCE.“In consequence, Mr Niersbach has been banned for 1 year from all football-related activities and shall bear the costs of the proceedings.”
LETTERKENNY LADIES GOLFLady Captain, Catherine Cooke-Harkin, Mr President, Barry Ramsay and Mr Captain, Tom Mc Donagh qualified to play at the K club on Sept 4th. They finished 3rd in a field of 20 teams of club captains and presidents in the Ulster District at Malone Golf Club last Monday. Congratulations to them and what a great event to look forward to.The June Medal was played in pleasant sunshine and the winner was Maura Cavanagh with 7O net.Runner up, Celine Bradley, 76 net B O T, 3rd Anne Cannon 76net.May Monthly re-entry was won by Marian O’ Sullivan with aggregate of 74 (two best returned cards). Marian also won the June Weekend re-entry sponsored by An Grianan Theatre with 37pts. Runner up wasMonica Mc Donagh, 34 points. 3rd was Connie Redden.Congratulations to the prize-winners.The Little Angels Open, generously sponsored by John and Phil Murray, was won by the Comp. Sec., Karen Mc Glinchey with 40pts.Anne Flannery was second with 38pts. Gross – Mary Murray, who also had the only 2 of the day on the 8th. 3rd Colette Callaghan from B&S ,35 pts.Visitor’s prize; Moira McGee B&S, 33pts. Front 9, Eileen Harvey 21 pts.B OT. Back 9, Jackie Ireland,18pts. Seniors; Mary McBride 35 pts..Agnes Wiseman with 29pts won the 36 Handicap Category. The Mixed team under the captaincy of Mary Murray and Danny Mc Laughlin were beaten by Strabane in Ballybofey last week.Mary Murray, gracious in defeat, wished Strabane continued success in the competition.The Challenge Team play Enniskillen away on Wed. 11th June.The Junior Cup play away to City of Derry on Sunday 15th June.Tracy Spence and Cynthia Furey, who represent the club in the Daily Mail Foursomes, do so with tenacity, skill and great competitive golf, having secured their most recent victory on the 18th in Narin and Portnoo. Open week starts on Friday 13th June.There are 9 Hole Competitions on Mon. Wed. and Fri evenings from 6.30 pm with time-sheets now open.The two main ladies competitions, sponsored by Con Boyce, Donegal Golf and Seamus Clinton, Letterkenny Club Professional, are on Tues. 17th and Thurs 19th June.Book on line or via the PRO Shop at 9121150.Visitors are very welcome to play golf on the magnificent fairways of Barnhill and the course is truly in pristine condition.Browns on the Green will be serving great meals like we have become accustomed too and all this makes Open Week an event not to be missed at Leterkenny Golf Club.The Ladies Club would like to wish the Men’s Club PRO, Eamonn Davies continued return to full health and his presence is missed in the Club House.On a very sad note, The Ladies Club would like to offer their deepest sympathy to Maura Cavanagh and her family on the untimely death of their son and brother, Cormac. May heR I P.GOLF NEWS: MAURA CAVANAGH WINS THE JUNE MEDAL AT BARNHILL was last modified: June 10th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:golfletterkennyNoticesSport
His set list will likely include popular hits such as Angels and Let Me Entertain You, but one song which probably won’t be sung in front of Vladimir Putin is the 2016 single ‘Party Like a Russian’.The track’s lyrics are full of stereotypes about violent Russian aristocrats and it caused a great deal of upset in Russia upon its release.Many publications described the song as offensive and said he should never play in the country again. 1 Robbie Williams will open the 2018 World Cup in Moscow on Thursday, just two years after Russian newspapers called for him to be banned from performing there.The British pop star will perform alongside Russian soprano Aida Garifullina at the Luzhniki Stadium before the hosts take on Saudi Arabia in the tournament opener. Williams said: “I’m so happy and excited to be going back to Russia for such a unique performance. I’ve done a lot in my career, and opening the FIFA World Cup to 80,000 football fans in the stadium and many millions all over the world is a boyhood dream.“We’d like to invite football and music fans to party with us in Russia, in the stadium, or to tune in their TVs a little earlier for an unforgettable show.”The 44-year-old, whose England team were victorious in Soccer Aid on Sunday night, will be joined by two-time World Cup winner Ronaldo.The legendary Brazil striker will present the famous trophy to the 81,000 people inside the stadium. Williams celebrates England’s win at Soccer Aid on Sunday night 1 Williams is a controversial choice for the opening slot
gameday cracker Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Bayern are in need of extra firepower after their abysmal start to the Bundesliga season – they are languishing in fifth place, nine points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund.But they would have to pay a hefty fee to tempt Tottenham into selling Son, who signed a new long-term contract in July.Son has scored 50 goals for Spurs since leaving Bayer Leverkusen in an £18 million deal in 2015. Son has hit double figures in goals in two successive seasons despite being in and out of Tottenham’s starting XI.And that has caught the attention of Bayern Munich, who were linked with Son in the summer.Italian publication Calciomercato reports the German club are “insisting” on signing the 26-year-old. RANKED Bayern Munich want to sign Tottenham Hotspur star Heung-min Son, reports claim.The South Korea forward scored a stunning solo goal in a 3-1 win over Chelsea on Saturday to maintain Spurs’ Premier League title challenge. Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 revealed BEST OF scrap Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ 1 SORRY latest LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion PAYBACK Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade LATEST REPLY Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions ‘I’ll get him’ – Robertson further endears himself to fans with revenge vow to Mane Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Heung-min Son nets Tottenham’s third goal against Chelsea
Former Chelsea man Fabio Borini’s 88th-minute equaliser took the Capital One Cup clash into extra time.The striker, on as a substitute, fired through the legs of David Luiz after Jozy Altidore had burst into the box and around keeper Mark Schwarzer.Lee Cattermole’s own goal 38 seconds into the second half looked like taking Chelsea through to the semi-finals.Goal-line technology, being used in the League Cup for the first time, was needed to confirm the ball had crossed the line after Cattermole’s attempt to stop Frank Lampard tucking away Cesar Azpilicueta’s low cross at the far post.The goal was initially awarded to Lampard but replays suggested the Sunderland midfielder got the final touch.It brought the game to life after an uninspiring first half in which the Black Cats had appeals for a penalty waved away.The home fans wanted a spot-kick when Andrea Dossena’s cross struck the upper part of Azpilicueta’s arm, but referee Anthony Taylor was having none of it.Chelsea’s best opportunity of the half came nine minutes before the interval.Having got himself into a great position, Andre Schurrle should have shot but instead played the ball to Willian, who dragged an effort harmlessly wide.The Blues eventually did take the lead and Samuel Eto’o should have doubled it but steered the ball wide after being inadvertently put through on goal by a misplaced pass from Sunderland’s Craig Gardner.And Chelsea, who lost Azpilicueta to injury on 69 minutes, were left to rue Eto’o’s miss when Borini levelled.Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Schwarzer; Azpilicueta (Essien 69), Cahill, Luiz, Cole; Mikel, Lampard; De Bruyne, Willian, Schurrle (Hazard 83); Eto’o (Ba 74).Subs not used: Blackman, Terry, Oscar, Torres.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
McKinleyville >> Humboldt State softball hurlers Madison Williams and Kalyn Paque held the Dominican Penguins to just two runs in 18 innings as the Lumberjacks swept a doubleheader on Sunday at McKinleyville High School.The Jacks (20-1 overall, 13-1 California Collegiate Athletic Association) extended their winning streak to nine games with identical 3-1 wins over the Pens, with Williams striking out a season-high 12 batters in a complete-game victory in game one and Paqua scattering four hits …
5 September 2012 Locals in need of affordable health care arrived in numbers when South Africa’s Phelophepa health train spent the past week stationed in Polokwane in Limpopo province. A project of South African state logistics company Transnet, with major backing from Swiss pharmaceutical firm Roche, the Phelophepa health train started in 1994 to give affordable primary health care to the poor, particularly those living in remote areas of the country. “[Polokwane] exceeded our expectations,” Phelophepa acting manager Sibonelo Mtshali said on Friday. “We brought free services to their back yard, and we are happy they have used this opportunity.”Free check-ups, affordable medicine He said medical professionals on the train had checked for or treated various illnesses including high blood pressure, sugar diabetes and cancer, while some had offered dental and eye care. He said check-ups were done for free while medicines were sold for only R5. Those with eye problems paid only R30 for prescription eyeglasses. Mtshali said that at every station where it stopped, Phelophepa trained 40 volunteers to advise residents on basic health matters, while giving 70 jobless opportunities to help with translation and cleaning services.‘A lifetime opportunity’ Enipha Makgale, a final-year nursing student at Limpopo Nursing College, said she was thrilled to have been given an opportunity to get hands-on experience with Phelophepa. “This is a lifetime opportunity for us students because there are conditions that we don’t see at local hospitals and clinics,” Makgale said. Nomfundo Bhembe, who is studying towards a Bachelor of Dental Science at Medunsa, said it was both exciting and exhausting to attend to a lot of patients in a short time. “It’s been a long week, with a lot of experience gained,” said Bhembe.First trip to the doctor And the patients were clearly grateful. Local resident Modjadji Mochemi, 53, said she had never been to a doctor’s office because she could not afford medical fees. “I received my first free dental service at the train, and I wish they can come here every day,” said Mochemi. Francinah Mabotja, principal at Leetetja Primary School in Moletji, brought pupils with health problems to get medical check-ups. “Three of the pupils were checked for eye sight problems, while five were checked for dental problems.” The train’s Limpopo tour continues in Musina this week, Makhado next week, and Tzaneen from September 24 to 28. Source: SANews.gov.za